I came across a blog post the other day which listed the top 25 things to do every morning to ensure a successful day, and it got me thinking about the above question.
Some of the things on the list were pretty basic, Brush Your Teeth, Take a Cold Shower to revive the body and a few other things…but the one I related to the most was MEDITATE.
Over the course of my career as a therapist & coach I have always encouraged meditation and mindlessness, but truth be told, I haven’t meditated in months. In fact, not only did I stop meditating, I felt it was taking up too much time – and I barely have enough in the day, already.
About 6 years ago, I became an initiate of the Light, which means I took vows to ensure my spiritual progression on this earth with rituals and a devout meditation practice; 2 hours everyday. I also gave up alcohol & animal proteins.
Somewhere during the course of the past 3 years, I ‘forgot’ my vows & justified the denial of their importance in my life. Until recently…
I recently met someone who is bringing me back and it feels good. A necessary reminder of all the things I’ve learned presented brand new by a man 15 years my junior.
Which brings me back to the Morning Ritual that Feeds My Heart, Body, Mind & Soul:
- MAKE MY BED. Making my bed is the first in a long list of accomplishments I will make for the day. It gets me to feel like I can do anything!
- MEDITATE. Among the many reasons I can list here, the most essential for me is the fact that it gives me purpose & keeps me centered. I may not know what lies ahead of me for the day, but I know that with spirit I can face it.
- TEA. Green tea is my morning joe. I will not, and can not speak to anyone until I have my tea. Sometimes I have it plain, though sometimes I like to add fresh ginger root to help with digestion; after sleeping for 6-8 hours, it helps to break the fast & prepare your stomach for incoming food. Additionally, I like to add tumeric for its powerful anti-inflammatory effects, and its a very strong antioxidant.
- JOURNAL. I write a brief sentence expressing gratitude for the day.
- EXERCISE. I love the feel of weights in the morning, and strengthening my bones & muscles with 5 exercises hitting all major parts of the body feels AMAZING!
- Jumping Jacks
- Bicep Curls
- Push Ups
- Shoulder Presses